"A Spider, a Van, and a Little Bit of Bravery"
My dear son is far from being fearless, but he’s trying — and that’s what matters most. At age three, the world still feels big, loud, and often a little scary. As his mother, I’ve made it my quiet mission to help him find the courage inside himself — the kind that will one day help him face life’s challenges and, hopefully, become a strong, kind man.
My method is simple: I point out every brave moment, no matter how small. When he tries something new, when he faces something that scares him — even when he just takes a deep breath and doesn’t cry — I tell him, “That was brave.” My hope is that one day, he’ll start to see himself that way, too.
And you know what? I think it’s working.
The other day, we were cruising down the highway when I heard a bloodcurdling scream from the back of the van. My heart stopped. I imagined the worst — someone hurt, something terribly wrong — and immediately started scanning for a safe place to pull over.
Then I learned the cause of the chaos: a spider.
For goodness’ sake! A spider. I sighed with relief — and maybe a little frustration — as my daughters began their acrobatics over the seats, shrieking and scrambling to escape the eight-legged intruder. Normally, I’m the kind of mom who gently rescues spiders, scooping them up on a piece of paper and setting them free outdoors. But this? This was a full-on emergency situation.
Still, I was almost at the church, so I told the kids, “We’re not stopping. Just deal with it!” Between the squeals and the panic, I reminded them, “This is not a life-or-death situation. It’s okay to be scared, but we’ll be fine.”
When we finally arrived and I turned around to check on everyone, I realized something remarkable: the only one who had stayed calm the whole time was my dear son, Zack — the same little boy who usually trembles at the sight of a housefly.
My heart swelled with pride. I looked at him and said, “Zack, I am so proud of you.”
He looked up at me with the biggest smile and said, “Mommy, I was brave. I wasn’t scared of the spider.”
And in that simple moment, my heart just melted.
Because that’s it — that’s how bravery is built. Not in grand gestures, but in quiet victories like this one. Step by step, moment by moment, my little boy is learning what it means to be brave.
And maybe, so am I.
No comments:
Post a Comment